COVID-19 Temporary Relief

August 2020

by Uncorked Compliance (805) 237-9914;

Adapting to COVID-19 has caused some changes in the alcohol beverage industry.  Restaurants, brewpubs, wineries, breweries, and craft distillers can now get a COVID-19 Temporary Catering Authorization from California’s ABC to serve alcohol at a wider base. The CA ABC is allowing establishments to expand service into a parking lot, sidewalk, patio, or other area that is under control of the licensee while also maintaining social distancing limitations, occupancy limits, personal protective equipment, etc. Wineries and tasting rooms are not required to serve meals.

The city of Paso Robles requires a permit. The fee is $393 with the payment deferred until 30 days after the end of the State’s COVID-19 emergency declaration.  The COVID-19 Temporary Catering Authorization requires two forms:  ABC-218 CV19 and ABC-253; both forms can be found at

CA ABC requirements for Temporary Catering Authorization include:

  • the outdoor area must be located near the place of business
  • the outdoor area must have some sort of barrier
  • a non-refundable application fee of $100.

One should still check with the city/county where located to verify allowed to move out of doors and if a permit is required.